I’m glad we have eternity to continue to get to know the infinite aspects of our Father God, Jesus and Holy Spirit because knowing God is too much for one life time! I’m glad we have eternity to continue to worship God and to cultivate deeper relationship! When you know God’s character, you know ways you can depend on him and a clear testimony to the silent witnesses, and the people around you, as to who your God is. And you will have more and more reasons to trust and adore him. Stillness to know God can include resting/soaking in His presence, listening for His leading as well as adorational prayer and worship.
- Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. (Ecclesiastes 5:2)
- Do not bring an incomplete offering that is harried or hurried. (Malachi 1:7-14)
- We honour God by loving him first and seeking him deeply. (Mark 12:29- )
Ways to Become Still
This is about inner stillness, so some people love to walk, jog etc as they still their spirit!
Stillness requires time – every day – and until stillness is familiar it may take some time in every session, to still your mind. If distractions arise, ask Jesus to still you. If it helps, write lists of what to do later and set them aside. Worship music can lift your focus to God. In times of agitation, it can help to have a prayer partner to hold stillness with you.
Ways to Get to Know God
Know Jesus, who is an exact representation of his Father (Hebrews 1:3) so study Jesus’ character –in the eye witness accounts in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
- Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ (Matthew 7:22-23)
It is vital that we are mature in our discernment so we open our hearts to the Spirit of Jesus and are not unwittingly drawn into deception and idolatry. Safeguard your discernment by knowing your God deeply -through meditating upon the scriptures that describe his character.
- Derek Prince, Protection from Deception: Navigating through the Minefield of Signs and Wonders. www.scribd.com/doc/16864150/Protection-From-Deception-Derek-Prince
Acquaint yourself with the names and characteristics of God.
Acquaint yourself with Scriptures that describe who God is. You can make your own alphabetical list of attributes of God and their scriptural evidence and add your stories of how God has demonstrated that to you. A Bible concordance is a great resource for discovering alphabetical scriptural attributes of God!
Focus on God and use Scripture to build your knowledge and appreciation of God, relational intimacy and a hunger to bear his likeness.
- Adoration iPhone / iPad app:
- Adoration Android app:
- Adoration E-book:
- Hope Australia www.hopeaust.org Weekly weblink for adorational prayer.
- Bob Hartley www.bobhartley.org
Rest to Know Yourself
Jesus did only what He saw His Father doing. (John 5:19, John 8:38, 41, John 14:10) Jesus knew his role in his Father’s business from deep relational time spent in overnight or early morning prayer. Do you know your life long destiny, your seasonal commission and your daily assignment? Until you do you may be labouring under burdens that are not yours to carry.
- Jesus said, Come to Me, all you who labour and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.] Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls. For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good–not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne. (Matthew 11:28-30)
- As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38-42)
- Destiny and Inheritance.
- Restorative Justice.
Enter God’s Rest
God speaks a lot about rest, modelling it by resting himself and inviting us to enter into His rest. (Genesis 2:2-3, Exodus 20:9-11, Exodus 31:16, Isaiah 56:1-8)
Jesus has fully provided rest from sin, through his free provision of righteousness by grace. (Matthew 11:28-29) We are no longer condemned by our inability to keep God’s law but the principles God has given us will always be life giving. (Matthew 5: esp17)
- Jesus said, Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30)
Jesus modelled and taught that a Sabbath day was made for our rest and spiritual, physical, mental and relational release, healing and restoration. It is a good time for us, and for us to do good to others. Do you fully enter His Sabbath day rest? Ask the Spirit of Jesus to speak to your heart through these scriptures. (Exodus 20:8-11, Isaiah 56:1-8, Hebrews 4:1-11)
Rest for Restoration
In addition to nightly and weekly rests, we need times for restoration. To live a full life we need to pause from time to time to mend any leaks in our buckets – things from the past or present or attitudes toward the future that drain our focus, energy, capacity to trust; and give and love well. God does heal our bodies, minds, emotions, will and spirit instantly or gradually – to deepen our understanding of choices, relationship processes etc Forgiving others and refusing to hold offense is a key to living restfully – in peace. Seek God’s healing for anything that limits you capacity to live abundantly!
- Healing Rooms Australia e.g. www.healingrooms.com.au www.healinglifemin.com
- Personal Ministry Centres e.g.www.prayerministriesnetwork.com/pmcentres.html www.sonrise.org.au www.sydneyheal.com www.dayspring.com.au/ministries/sozo.html www.ellelministries.org/aus www.elijahhouse.com.au www.restoration.org.au/prayerministry.html www.familyfoundations.com