“The key is searching for God, learning to listen for his voice, burrowing into his heart, listening to what he says, and then doing it, however simple or complex it might be. If he says it, do it. If he doesn’t tell you to do anything, then why are you doing things? Why not just sit at his feet?” Grace Outpouring by Roy Godwin and Dave Roberts.
Our God has such tender and amazing things to say to us as his people! We miss out on so much if we don’t pause to listen.
Will God speak to me?
Communion with God involves seeking his presence and his perspective – through adoration, asking and listening. If you doubt God will speak to you and feel fear, inadequacy, accusations or confusion – just tell him that and ask him to speak to you and give you hope, trust and a confident expectation that he will meet you and speak to you.
Under the new covenant we can all come confidently before our Father’s throne (Hebrews 4:16) but even before the temple veil was broken, God communed deeply with his people. (Exodus 33:11, Joshua 18:1, Leviticus 24:1-9, 1 Samuel 23:9)
- Come near, you nations and listen; pay attention, you people’s! Let the earth hear, and all that is in it, the world, and all that comes out of it…. It is his mouth that has given the order and his Spirit will gather them together. He allocates their portion, his hand distributes them by measure. They will possess it forever and dwell there from generation to generation. (Isaiah 34:1,16-17)
- I love the Lord, because He has heard [and now hears] my voice and my supplications. Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore will I call upon Him as long as I live. Return to your rest, O my soul, for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you. (Psalm 116:1-2,7)
Listening Prayer: Discerning God’s Voice
Hearing God’s voice, involves quietening our noise and focusing on him.
- Hear I am. You called me. Speak Lord, for your servant is listening. (1 Samuel 3;4,9)
- Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. Go near to listen rather than offer the sacrifice of fools, who do not know that they do wrong. Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart…so let your words be few…Therefore stand in awe of God. (Ecclesiastes 5: 1-7)
- Jesus said, ‘He who has ears to hear, let him hear.’ (Luke 8:8) As has just been said: ‘Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion.’ (Hebrews 3:15)
- Be Still and Know That I AM God
We can ‘hear’ God speaking in many different ways
The Holy Spirit brings the Bible alive – as God’s voice to us. Ask Holy Spirit to tune your heart to hear what God is saying to you. (John 10:4, 27, Ephesians 1:18) We are more likely to hear God as a still small internal voice, rather than an audible sound. Expect that you may hear God through what people say, quickened words, songs, memories, pictures or thoughts in your mind.
We need to learn to distinguish God’s voice from our own and other Spirits
God spoken words are always consistent with his written Word. Test the spirit by asking Jesus to cover you with His authority, name blood, and ask, ‘ Is this the Spirit of Jesus Christ?’ Although the enemy of God can be a subtle deceiver, His voice –as the accuser – is often harsh, mocking, compulsive, urgent or condemning – and the motive behind what he says is to steal, lie or destroy –cutting off your true destiny and entrapping you in behaviours (e.g. self comforts) that may look and feel good in the short term but trap you in patterns that will drain abundant life. (John 10:10, Revelation 12:10) God speaks with a soft voice; not heard above the din of our own inner thinking so to train our heart we need to invest in listening times. God’s conviction of sin is accompanied by his forgiveness, and so brings truth that is a relief and sets you free. Anything you give up for him will add to the abundance of your freedom and fullness of life. Seek to refine your discernment. In directional matters wait for confirmation from trusted others.
- Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses. (2 Corinthians 13:1)
God is speaks to His Church through prophecy – which is the testimony of Jesus. (Rev 19:10) We are to eagerly desire prophesy and to receive prophets so we gain the benefits God offers us through them. But we are to test the spirits, examine the fruit of the prophet’s life, weigh the words with others and seek confirmation through agreement with Scripture and multiple testimony. Listen, weigh carefully what is said and be strengthened, encouraged and comforted. (1 Corinthians 14:1,3,29 Matthew 10:41)
Carefully examine these Prophetic Words for Australia:
- Australian Prophetic Council on Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/TheAutralianPropheticCouncil
Actively Inquire of God
Having learned to dwell in God’s Presence, we need to seek God’s Perspective. We can benefit very richly by approaching our Father maturely – to really examine what we believe he is saying and seek to understand God’s timing, strategy, underlying meaning etc.
- Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord. Isaiah 1:18
- One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. Psalm 27:4
- Thus says the Lord, Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, where the God way is, and walk in it; and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6:16
- Come to receive the assurance of God’s will and power to transform your nation. Isaiah 45
- Come and search out treasures. Isaiah 45:3,15
Examples of Questions we can ask God
- What would you like to say to me?
- What’s on your heart, Father?
- What did you mean when you said?
- What can I do about ……?
- When ….?
- What will that look like?
Questions Asked by Bob Hartley
- Why do I mean everything to you?
- What do you like about meeting with me?
- Why did you pick me?
- What characteristic of you should I expect to encounter in 2012?
- What is your perspective of this situation?
- What are the challenges coming?
- What do you plan to do about that?
- What are the new things I should watch for?
- What tools do I need?
- Who do you want me to invest time with?
- How do you want me to pray?
- Is there something I should be asking for?
- What is one thing about your nature that I really need to understand?
- What does prayer mean to you, Lord?
- How can I love you well in my family life?
- What do you love about this person….?
- What are your plans to prosper this person’s life? (So you can pray and encourage them.)
- Who will you use to do this?
- Do they have everything they need to soar and succeed?
- Who are the false leaders who will discourage your plan?
- What is your 3-5 year plan to build your kingdom in this city?
Destiny and Inheritance.
Be Still and Know That I AM God.
Stairway Church Whitehorse – See podcasts
Daily Readings from God Calling A.J. Russell www.twolisteners.org/God%20Calling%20TOC.htm
Sample 2 Dec: Ideal Man “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.” James 4:8
Draw nigh, shoes off thy feet, in silent awe and adoration. Draw nigh, as Moses drew nigh to the burning bush. I give you the loving intimacy of a friend, but I am God too, and the wonder of our intercourse, the miracle of your intimacy with Me, will mean the more to you, if sometimes you see the Majestic Figure of the Son of God.
Draw nigh in the utter confidence that is the sublimest prayer. Draw nigh. No far-off pleading, even to a God clothed with majesty of fire. Draw nigh. Draw nigh, not as a suppliant, but as a listener. I am this Suppliant, as I make known to you My wishes. For this Majestic God is Brother too, longing so intensely that you should serve your brother-man, and longing, even more intensely, that you should be true to that Vision He has of you.
You speak of your fellow man as disappointing you, as falling short of the ideal you had of him. But what of Me? For every man there is the ideal man I see in him. The man he could be, the man I would have him be. Judge My Heart when he fails to fulfil that promise. The disappointments of man may be great and many, but they are nothing as compared with My disappointments. Remember this, and strive to be the friend I see in my vision of you.
To read more Words that strengthen, encourage and comfort, click here