Your kingdom come
Transformation begins with personal transformation but goes on to holding hope for those in our spheres of influence – that people will live optimally full lives and eternal lives. When we understand the love God has for people, we also love them well and that means putting love into action – overflowing the values of the kingdom into our daily plans and practice. Who can argue against the social benefit of these values?
- love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness, gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint). (Galatians 5:22-23)
- And God’s peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them]. Practice what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and model your way of living on it, and the God of peace (of untroubled, undisturbed well-being) will be with you. (Philippians 4:7-9 AMP)
Transformation raises our focus beyond our own individual salvation, healing and maturation to our role in making disciples of all nations.
- Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20)
Transformation of a city, region or nation involves God’s will and kingdom values being systematically manifest by His people. God often speaks our role in being His blessing to cities, nations, people groups and generations.
- “I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” (Genesis12:2)
- In the time of my favour I will answer you, and in the day of salvation I will help you; I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people, to restore the land and to reassign its desolate inheritances, to say to the captives, ‘Come out,’ and to those in darkness, ‘Be free!’ (Isaiah 49:8-9)
- Listen! The LORD is calling to the city— and to fear your name is wisdom (Micah 6:8)
- He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit. (Galatians 3:14)
The vision of transformation of a nation – is such a big picture that it builds our dependence on God’s power and on working with others. Transformation involves the church working together and in collaboration with the leaders, services and citizens of a region. Typically transformation begins with prayer and relationship between church leaders leading to initiatives made in response to local need. This may arise in a crisis or evidence of need (e.g. domestic violence, need for school, meals on wheels, hospital or prison support.) A group of church leaders might approach the leaders of a local municipality, school etc and ask what unmet needs their combined resources and voluntary workforce churches could help address. The attitude is, “How can we serve you?” Individual volunteerism is a powerful gift in our nation, but collective collaboration can address significant community issues very efficiently and effectively.
- Through the blessing of the upright a city is exalted, but by the mouth of the wicked it is destroyed. (Proverbs 11:11)
- He told them, The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.(Luke 10:2)
Pray with authority as watchmen in your sphere of influence
Tom Hess says, The true watchmen watches God. (Watchmen, 2000 Progressive Vision International)
Our eyes are focused on Jesus; our inquiry prayer is examining with our Father what He is doing!
Therefore I stationed some of the people behind the lowest points of the wall at the exposed places, posting them by families, with their swords, spears and bows…Then I said to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people, “The work is extensive and spread out, and we are widely separated from each other along the wall. Wherever you hear the sound of the trumpet, join us there. Our God will fight for us! (Nehemiah 4:13-20)
Are you a gatekeeper for a particular timeslot (e.g. night watch); border (e.g. on a highway between States of Australia; at an airport…); territory (e.g. a neighbourhood street or block, a local municipal council area, a city or rural region); or people group (e.g. local school, teenage mothers, unborn babies, prisoners). We need to link with others who can stand with us – and pray for us.
Jesus calls us to stand together in the authority and sphere of influence that He has given us:
- to be gatekeepers, preventing the thief to enter to steal, kill or destroy.
- to declare the will and kingdom of God.
- to cultivate the fruitfulness of the field. (John 15:1-17)
Jesus said, I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. (Luke 10:19) I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. (John 16:23-24)
The call in (Ephesians 6:10-18) to ‘Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power… so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes follows the call, throughout Ephesians to stand as one in Christ.
Meet David Demian, from Canada – Director of Watchmen of the Nation.
Strategic Prayer for reclaiming God’s kingdom in all spheres of our society
Many believe that creation waits for us to arise to reflect our Father’s glory for the healing of our land and for the establishment of his kingdom values across our society. (Romans 8:19-22)
Transformation works through individual evangelism, disciple-making and leadership to progressively invite God’s kingdom to transform systems – for example in business, education and government…
We are called to declare and establish in our lives God’s values and principles to impact all spheres of our nation. Some describe these spheres as Arts & Entertainment, Business, Education, Family, Government, Media, Religion. [You can compare alternative descriptions at www.reclaim7mountains.com, www.marketplaceconnections.com/Cre8/Cre8%202011%20Vision.pdf (page 2) and www.sophiathinktank.com ]
Probably you are affected by and have some input into several of these areas. Reflect on the sphere you are called to pray for and to focus your influence in during this phase of your life, and seek to discern the invitations of God. There are specific Australian groups who have influence in these areas. Make contact if you would like to explore this further.
Explore Biblical Frameworks for Transformation:
- Kris Vallotton (2010) Heavy Rain: How you can transform the world around you.
- Vishal Mangalwadi (2009) Truth & Transformation: A Manifesto for Ailing Nations.
- Vishal Mangalwadi (2011) The Book That Made Your World. How the Bible created the soul of western civilisation.
- Phil Mason (2012) The Science of Supernatural Transformation.Teaching on four podcasts available at: www.newearthtribe.com (Part 1: 24 March 2012 & Part 2: 1 April 2012) and The Science of Supernatural Transformation (Part 3: 22 April 2012)
Links for Transforming Australia and other nations
- Transform World – www.transform-world.net
- One Heart – Australian network from Toowoomba http://www.oneheart.com.au/about/contact/index.php
- Transforming New Zealand – Ian Johnson Phone +64 272893330 E-mail email@example.com 4 Ewing Road, RD4, Tuakau, 2694 New Zealand www.hisamazinggloryministries.org www..israeltours.co.nz
- International Prayer Connect (IPC) -www.ipcprayer.org
- Australian Marketplace Connections – www.marketplaceconnections.com
- Australian Christian Lobby – Voices for Values – www.acl.org.au
- Family Voice Australia – www.fava.org.au
- Canberra Declaration – Protecting our Australian Values – www.canberradeclaration.org.au
- The Lausanne Movement – www.lausanne.org