Tools That Father Can Use To Define You
Our Father confirmed Jesus as His Son in whom, “In whom I am well pleased.”
We have known ourselves as sinners but through Holy Spirit revelation we are being redefined as God’s children; as sons of our Father. (Romans 8 :14-16)
Jesus commissioned us to become His mature disciples – having obedience, holiness and faith to release His supernatural power. In 1 Corinthians Chapters 11-14, Paul encourages us to understand how Christ’s spiritual gifts, assigned roles and love help us function as parts of His body. Holy Spirit is hastening us to know our calling, our place, our strengths and struggles so we can fulfil our roles in the teams, areas and timing He appoints.
Our team seeks Father’s perspective to enhance our personal insight and capacity to work together with trust, mutual understanding and collaboration within our ministries (PIPES, 40 Days, Prayerhouse etc) and across the body of Christ.
Let Your Life Speak – a challenge by Parker Palmer. Go to http://www.danwilt.com/category/fullyalive/ and scroll down.
We have been lead through a process that may assist you. To illustrate our experience, I (Sue) will share how God used the process to help redefine me.
If you know me please help me become who I am meant to be.
Tool 1: We first sought God’s answers to 4 Defining Questions:
Sue: I slowly discerned my understanding of these answers during 2013.
1. How Am I Known in Heaven? Sue: I’m a right royal stirrer – a son with the power to decree and see it be! (Ps 2:7-8,12, Ro 8:14-17, Jn 5:19, Rev1:4-6)
2. Why Am I on Earth? Sue: My Father loves the world so much! He has me here to love well and release HOPE: Houses of Prayer Everywhere. (Jn 3:16, Lk 10:27-28, 1Jn 3:1, 4:7-20, 13:34-35, 17:20-23, Is 58:5-9, Jn 15:5, Is 56:7, Mt18:18-20)
3. What is my Life Message? Sue: My life says, “There is an encounter with the living God available to you. Jesus has come so you can have life and live abundantly.” Ask Jesus to live in you and simply lead all your choices – and you’ll live abundantly blessed, restful, peaceful, whole and one with God and others.” (Ps 46:10, Jer 6:16, Jn 10:10, 14:23, 27, Mt 11:29-30, Gal 2:20, 1Co 13:14-15, Eph 4:3-6,12-16)
4. Who are my People? Sue: We are peace-seekers, peace-makers, sons of God who choose life – the blessings of Jesus’ kingdom rule – to rest in our lives, households, neighbourhoods and nations. We are sent to be living testimonies of God’s love, blessing and HOPE: His Houses of Prayer for Everyone – Everywhere. (Lk 2:14, Matt 5:9, Lk 10:5-6, Ro 5:15, Nu 6:23-26)
(Source: Andee Sellman)
Tool 2: We chose to undertake DNA Behaviour – online assessment and face to face report and coaching with Andee & Dean Sellman from One Sherpa. See:http://onesherpa.com/services/business-dna and check costs by email inquiry.
DNA Behaviour gave us in-depth analysis of our own style and compared team members.
Sue: I completed this between 20 -27 March 2014. It defined me as an Influencer characterised by contentment (which I call ‘shalom’ – wholeness & peace) and the capacity to take charge through visionary thinking. Influencers are able to engage and motivate people through words and enthusiasm. They will wholeheartedly invest time and effort into developing others. (It’s what I call ‘disciple making’).
Tool 3: We are always eager to be defined and blessed by God through prophetic revelation. (The sequence of this tool reflects God’s timing in this particular process.)
Sue: By grace, God timed on 1 April an opportunity at Empowered Pastors for me to receive encouraging words of knowledge from strangers. These words define me as a creator who rests in my Lord; one who connects, organises and initiates new things with Him. They said I have a gift with words and a call to know where God is moving. When I call, people come running to eat at God’s banqueting table. My present work with children was described as fun – with Father’s heart and ideas for kids – setting the stage for a new generation. Oh let it be, Lord!
Tool 4: We undertook APEST and mutually disclosed our results with colleagues who want to work together in the body of Christ. APEST is a US$10 online assessment developed by Alan Hirsch. APEST is a profiling instrument designed to assist you in finding your ministry style in relation to the fivefold ministry of Ephesians 4 (Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Shepherds, Teachers). See:http://www.theforgottenways.org/apest/default.aspx
Sue: APEST defined me as a shepherding apostle. If you know me does this ring true?
The Shepherd Apostle understands the need to extend the kingdom, and this is done for the love, growth and development of people. The Shepherd Apostle care and develop people in order to be sent. The Shepherd Apostle believes the best place for development is somewhere beyond where they are. They have a great sense of the unity of God’s people and are excellent in handling people within the Organization. The motivation of the Shepherd Apostle is to see a dynamic movement of people, expressing God’s love throughout the world. The Shepherd Apostle loves others without compromising the urgency of going.
* Note: APEST defines style not function in the Body of Christ. Function and role require recognition and appointment by a community of others.
Are you curious about how APEST might help define you and others you work with?
• APOSTLES extend the gospel. As the “sent ones,” they ensure that the faith is transmitted from one context to another and from one generation to the next. They are always thinking about the future, bridging barriers, establishing the church in new contexts, developing leaders, networking trans-locally. Yes, if you focus solely on initiating new ideas and rapid expansion, you can leave people and organizations wounded. The shepherding and teaching functions are needed to ensure people are cared for rather than simply used.
• PROPHETS know God’s will. They are particularly attuned to God and his truth for today. They bring correction and challenge the dominant assumptions we inherit from the culture. They insist that the community obey what God has commanded. They question the status quo. Without the other types of leaders in place, prophets can become belligerent activists or, paradoxically, disengage from the imperfection of reality and become other-worldly.
• EVANGELISTS recruit. These infectious communicators of the gospel message recruit others to the cause. They call for a personal response to God’s redemption in Christ, and also draw believers to engage the wider mission, growing the church. Evangelists can be so focused on reaching those outside the church that maturing and strengthening those inside is neglected.
• SHEPHERDS nurture and protect. Caregivers of the community, they focus on the protection and spiritual maturity of God’s flock, cultivating a loving and spiritually mature network of relationships, making and developing disciples. Shepherds can value stability to the detriment of the mission. They may also foster an unhealthy dependence between the church and themselves.
• TEACHERS understand and explain. Communicators of God’s truth and wisdom, they help others remain biblically grounded to better discern God’s will, guiding others toward wisdom, helping the community remain faithful to Christ’s word, and constructing a transferable doctrine. Without the input of the other functions, teachers can fall into dogmatism or dry intellectualism. They may fail to see the personal or missional aspects of the church’s ministry.
Our Father’s Blessing Redefines Identity
Each week some children and their parents gather with us as a Community of Blessing. Joy, peace, kindness, patience, love, goodness….. flow as we let Holy Spirit speak through us words of blessing for each other and our neighbourhood. Father is redefining the identity of these children and impacting our guests and neighbours.
You too can become a House of Prayer /Peace in your neighbourhood or workplace, releasing to those around you God’s kingdom perspective of your world and His transformational grace and power for eternal and abundant life. See more on blessing and gathering times at: http://partnersinprayer.org.au/ffald-y-brenin-resources-available-in-australia/
To experience, practice and share the defining power of God’s blessing – come to our regular public gathering – People of Blessing at 7.30pm 2nd Wednesday each month in different locations. See What’s On.
This article was originally posted in response to:
100 Days Of Redefinement: 1 March – 8 June 2014
John Kilpatrick has called this season, from 1 March until 8 June – Pentecost Sunday, “100 Days of Redefinement.” See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yBT3dotztw&app=desktop
During these 100 Days extraordinary numbers of Australians are deeply seeking God’s refinement and redefinition of their lives and nation!
Our 2014 National Day of Prayer and Fasting – with a focus on sexual purity – was held on the 2 March and involved about 100,000! http://www.nationaldayofprayer.com.au/
Glimpse the day via this 3 minute promo for Deeper: https://vimeo.com/88841388
We are in the midst of the associated 40 Days of Prayer and Fasting 5 March – 13 April 2014 – http://40daysofprayer.com.au/. A conservative estimate is that 10,000 are engaging in this year’s 40 Days with us. Others are also participating in denominational and local church calls to prayer & fasting during Lent. Some people are sacrificially fasting from all but water or juice for 40 days – please pray for them. Others are fasting from 1-2 daily meals and some have laid aside coffee, sweets, T.V. etc.
We welcome you to join us in praying for our nation. Daily Prayer Guides have been prepared by 40 Australian leaders – from government, business, the arts, ethnic groups and from across the Church. See: 40 Days Daily Prayer Guide 2014
You can track people’s responses and answers to prayer evident in social change at:
Father is Redefining Australia
On the PIPES website http://partnersinprayer.org.au – you will find Posts that we believe are helpful in understanding how God is defining Australia’s purpose in this generation. It can be surprising to glimpse God’s gracious and hope filled perspective!